The University of Boxing Training Location

The University of Boxing Training Location
Contact Coach Tony Douglas @ 980-643-1013

Boxing News

Wednesday, June 19, 2013

NOTABLE LIFE CHANGERS 

IN THE BOXING INDUSTRY…

 KRISHNA WAINRIGHT 

AND 

TONY DOUGLAS











KRISHNA WAINRIGHT
A PROFESSIONAL BOXING JUDGE, REFEREE, TIME KEEPER, TRAINER and 
BOXING PROMOTER


Born at Ft. Bragg North Carolina  and grew up in Colorado Springs Co. Played various sports in school to include track and field, football, baseball, and basketball. I joined a taeKwondo team at Ft Carson Colorado from the age of 14 years old through 17 years old

I met Tony Douglas in basic training that became my best friend and was stationed at Ft Bragg in 1980 with a medical unit. I tried out for and joined the boxing team at Ft. Bragg in 1982 and trained under 1988 Olympic Coach Hank Johnson. I have had the great opportunity to work with great coaches Army Coaches like 1976 Olympic Silver medalist Charles Mooney, World Champion Coach Alfonso Smith,  2004 Olympic boxing coaches Basheer Abdullah and Anthony Bradley.

I have had the opportunity to learn from and train with the majority of the Olympic Coaches from 1988 to the present. I believe that I work perfectly well with every fighter that I train because I can look back in retrospect and use skill, technique, strategy and understanding that I have learned from every Olympic coach in the past 20 years. 


TONY DOUGLAS
A PROFESSIONAL BOXING JUDGE, 
REFEREE, COACH, TIMEKEEPER, 
TRAINER AND MANAGER

I started boxing in 1981 with the Ft. Bragg Coscom boxing team.  In the summer of 1981 I became Coscom boxing champion.  I joined Ft. Bragg Post boxing team and became Post Champion in 1982.  Also in 1982 I became the Gastonia, NC Golden Gloves Champion.  In 1983 I won the NC State and Regional Championships which both tournaments were very tough.

I also competed in an International Boxing event against Ireland.  I lost in a close decision. In 1984 I became Forscom Champion.  This was the most challenging tournament I ever fought in.  This boxing event brought the best boxers from around the world from every branch of the United State military forces. Becoming the 106 pound champion gave me the opportunity to compete in the 1984 Olympic Trials. 

In 1983 at the age of 20 I became Ft. Bragg’s Coscom boxing coach. After finishing my Army tour in 1984 I was the assistant coach for the Charlotte PAL boxing team with Ed Smith.  In 1986 I was assistant coach for Lou Kemp Boxing team in Charlotte, NC.  After Lou Kemp died and his gym was brought by the City of Charlotte I took a long break.  In 2002 I became a certified Judge and boxing coach for USA Boxing with Charlotte Boxing Academy under the leadership of Al Simpson.  In 2008 I started my own boxing club “University of Boxing”.  

1 comment:


  1. OT: See Manny Pacquiao doing his intensive training and other interesting Pacquiao videos at the official Manny Pacquiao Youtube channel. It's super cool!

    ReplyDelete